The Importance of Blogging for Your Health and Wellness Practice
Blogging is STILL an important part of online marketing. 7 years ago when I started this digital marketing agency I was talking about the importance of blogging and that is still the case. In fact, based on recent research, 68% of marketers find blogging more effective than they did 2 years ago. However, as with all aspects of digital marketing, blogging has changed over the years so here is the most up-to-date information for 2020.
Blog posts help to improve your website, your search results, give you content for your social media posts, newsletters, and more. Creating original content for your website is a crucial part of what we do at Hope and Healing Solutions and what you should be doing if you are a do-it-yourselfer.
Optimizing Health and Wellness Blogs
The first step in a successful health and wellness online marketing campaign is choosing your strategy and keywords. Next, you need to choose what to write a blog post about. But after you write a blog post the next step is to optimize it for Google and other search engines. You want to primarily write for people, not search engines but you also want to make it as easy as possible for Google to find the blog without keyword stuffing or other black hat search engine optimization tactics.
So here’s a checklist to follow for health and wellness blogs:
- Make Sure Your Keywords Appear in…
- The blog title
- The meta-description
- The first hundred words of your blog
- At least one heading
- Optimize the Length of Your Article to 900 to 1200 Words and include keywords. As a general rule of thumb try to put your search terms in about 1 to 2% of your text. So in an article of 900 words, you should mention your keywords about 18 times.
- Use Associated Keywords. If you are writing about the relief of migraine headaches in Los Angeles then it would be appropriate to use other associated keywords like migraine headache relief, headache relief in Los Angeles, natural relief of migraines, and other associated keywords.
- Link to Previous Content. If you’ve written some other content on this subject matter make sure you link to it in this new blog post. You can also go back to your old blog posts and link them to this new blog post. Cross-linking is important to search engine optimization….just don’t go overboard.
- Alt Tags on Images. Google cannot read your images. So it is important to alt tag your images with your keywords.
There are many other steps you can take in writing blog posts but these steps are the most important.